Monday, November 20, 2006

Weather

I was up at 3 a.m. watching our first snowfall. Beautiful, cold, fresh, clean. Ground's too warm for it to last long, but it reminded me what I like about winter.

Also reminded me, "The Tribe" didn't deal a lot with weather. I remember it rained once in Season-1 when the Mall Rats were running out of water in the tank on the roof. I remember references to cold (mostly when somebody had a need for a coat or shoes). But I don't remember snow or any extremes. Weather in the show was kind of a non-entity.

We've done much better in KTDARPG. Rain, snow, wind...floods, hurricane, blizzard... there've been times when weather was almost another character inside the game.

I guess when you're visual (like a tv show), you don't have to worry about it so much. But in a text-based game like ours, you need all the environment you can get. It helps the players to "see" the scenes in their minds as they move their characters to the rhythms.

-Chyna

No comments:

Post a Comment