Wednesday, September 06, 2006

D*C Impressions, Part-1

Dragon*Con was awesome. The best part was meeting KTDARPG players in the real world. So the first part of my "Impressions" series will be about them. Even with masks off, we found friends & not just crazy game-players.

OK, what can I say about Hawk? She was exactly as I expected. Chyna & Hawk were always friends--no, closer than that--in game. We found the same cameraderie & interests & viewpoints & passions in real-world too. We may have jokingly dubbed ourselves the Sisters of Power & Chaos for the game...we found out there's definitely some truth to that saying.

Hawk is tall & wears a variety of faces. For the convention, you never knew if you'd see her in the guise of the Romulan Commander, a Lady out for an evening in Bree, or a Bird of Prey. One thing I generally counted on--she'd have a weapon on her somewhere. That's our Hawk! She was also the woman who got us into the great Pirate & Klingon parties. We just had to keep reminding ourselves: Romulan ale is illegal FOR A REASON!

Watching Hawk at the convention (and she's a veteran, where Chyna was most definitely a convention-virgin) was most instructive. It seemed like she knew EVERYBODY, and she was always willing to pitch in & lend a hand. Her enthusiasm was catching, part of the reason I had such a good time. We had this pact, going in. Hawk promised me she'd break type & not disappear into the woodwork during down-time. She kept that promise, and she kept Chyna company when I was totally lost! (Thanks, girl!)

Scenes I won't forget: Hawk at the rave--where I learned that, for her, dancing is just another martial artform. Hawk bandying insults with VERY TALL Klingons in full battle gear. Hawk in bird-of-prey makeup (I wouldn't have known her if I walked right past her). Hawk with her real-world family. Hawk sleeping, storing up energy between convention events. Hawk & Xeno--talking, laughing, debating, sharing a meal. The best part? No blood was shed. (If you've followed the game at all, you understand how much of a miracle that is!)

By whatever names we call ourselves, Hawk is a friend. In-game or real-world. I'm really glad I can say that...

-Chyna

No comments:

Post a Comment