Friday, September 21, 2007

Was anyone else disappointed?

Maybe it was just me. [sigh] But the buzz about "Kid Nation" made a lot of us flashback to "The Tribe" and look forward to this new reality show from CBS. I mean wow--actually taking the no-adults-kids-alone-build-society premise and doing it in real-time.

Did you see it?

Yeah, not exactly what I expected either.

But c'mon, guys. This is TELEVISION. Even more, it's AMERICAN television. Take it one step farther, REALITY television. And this is from the network that brings us "Survivor" every year. Guess I shouldn't have been surprised at the similarities, properly watered down for the 8-15 aged audience.

It started promising enough. Deserted ghost town, 40 kids...the scene where they dumped the pot of totally inedible macaroni in the street was a laugh. But the minute the announcer-dude said there was gonna be a challenge ... yeah. That was it.

They don't have to worry about water or finding food. They've got a well-stocked "soda" saloon along with a general store. Each kid is "paid" according to his status in their "society." There's even a phone locked up in one of the buildings.

So far the most real thing to me was (a) the fact that the oldest guys are looking like the bullies, seeing how they can maneuver over the younger kids, complete with graffiti when nobody's looking; and (b) that when they finished their first challenge, they actually chose a collection of outhouses over 1 television set. Imagine that?

I'll probably keep watching it for a while to see how it develops, but my expectations have been properly lowered. They were out there for 40 days. I think I'm more interested in seeing the last episode, to see who's left standing when the dust clears.

Hey, if you've got an opinion, share it! I'll be more than glad to give you "comment" time right here.

-Chyna

Photo source: copyright CBS Broadcasting Inc.

No comments:

Post a Comment