Friday, July 21, 2006

Chyna

I've written a lot of blog-entries about KTDARPG, our characters & players, but I haven't said much about the character that started it all for me...mostly because, in-game, she died. But "Chyna" was my beginning, so maybe I should say something about her.

When Chyna walked onto the scene, she broke all the rules. In-game & out of game. OK, so I was an rpg-newby--I had no clue. I read previous posts to get the story; I watched other players to see how they interacted. Then I do what I generally do in these situations--wing it.

In-game Chyna was a trader, a traveler, a fighter, a loner with a past (as all good loners should have). She was short, slender, dark-haired & blue-eyed. Mostly she took care of # 1, up until she ran into a war she didn't expect.

Out-of-game (and I truly didn't know it at the time), I trampled all over some of the rules, especially those having to do with NPCs (non-player characters). I used existing minor characters to create a backstory for Chyna. (Thanks for not yelling at me back then, Game Master!) Then everything took off.

Over the course of the months & the story, Chyna made friends as well as enemies. She started a new tribe, the River Rats, and she found a sister-spirit in the warrior Hawk. She fought in a cage. She fell in love. She was shattered the first time she made a killing strike. She fought some awesome battles, and that's how she met her end--fighting & dying beside her lover.

Chyna was only around about 6 weeks game-time. I like to think she made a difference & maybe inspired some of the great storylines that others have brought to KTDARPG.

Her spirit is still around. I still use "Chyna" as a handle, which is pretty much appropriate especially when I'm in a rebellious or bitchy mood (as my fellow players can tell you!).

So anyway, this one's for Chyna.

No comments:

Post a Comment