Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Write what you know

Every person who's taken a writing class has heard it. Every creative writing teacher has preached it. Everybody who's tried to buck the system has found out it's true: "Write about what you know."

I'm generally pretty successful at envisioning what I need for a game scene, even when it's something I haven't personally experienced (killing somebody, fighting with swords, blowing up an electric plant...you get the idea).

The last 24 hours, however, Chyna learned. The adage is true. I had no idea how hard it'd be to "orchestrate" a childbirth! (Nope, no little Chynettes running around.) Thank ghod my partner players & I opted out of a blow-by-blow description & went straight from labor pains to deed accomplished. (The middle part is yuchy anyway. Besides, we ARE PG-rated after all.) To my partners--I hope you were satisfied with how it turned out!

The next time a player comes to me wanting to choreograph an awesome new scene, I think I'll do a little more question-asking to see what's really involved. Actually, since some of my in-game characters are guys? There are DEFINITELY "realisms" this girl does not intend to explore! Enough said. --Chyna

No comments:

Post a Comment