Tuesday, February 14, 2006

My idea of "fun" -- Thanks, Prince!

Tackling a text-based rpg isn't an easy way to get into writing. But when you have the right group of players who stay away from judgment calls & just focus on the game? It's creative, imaginative & a lot of fun.

Most of the players in KTDARPG today were already with the game when I joined, just about a year ago. Because I write as my profession, it's fun for me to interact with writers at different levels of development, watching them grow in skill & confidence.

Last night, I watched a HUGE breakthrough.

Prince has been around since the game began. He's under 20, still in school, and brings a wicked enthusiasm & crazy passion to the game. His primary character is generally a loner, and we never really know which direction he'll go in next. This guy is fearless--he's tackled both major & one-on-one battle scenes, high comedy (we'll never forget when his character had chicken pox, or when he put on that bunny-suit!), sorrow & death, and creating a rock concert scene for Solstice. When he decided to broaden his horizons & develop a 2nd character, he didn't do it the easy way. His secondary character is female. Just the fact he's trying to stretch that way says a hell of a lot about his growing confidence in his writing.

Last night he was challenged with a "farewell" scene with a girl-character that his primary cared about. When I read it, I was floored. It was funny, sensitive & very touching. The language was vivid & alive. With the player whose character was the girl, Prince created a farewell-scene that you could feel.

Wherever his inspiration is coming from, this time he got it more than right. Much more. As I told him after I read his post, last night Prince left the amateurs behind & joined the pros. -Chyna
Logo copyright Cloud-9 "The Tribe"

No comments:

Post a Comment